Saturday, January 22, 2011

The tale of a week, two weeks too late

Let me begin by saying that I don’t know how Perez Hilton and the millions of other daily bloggers have lives outside cyberspace. (I guess it’s easier to blog about other people’s lives, because writing about your own requires that you actually do something yourself first…but now is not the time to launch into my anti-Perez rant.) I haven’t blogged in a couple of weeks, but I’m going to try to catch up now.

Christina arrived last Monday to visit before she headed to Spainfor her own study abroad, and we celebrated our reunion with a meal of bread, cheese and wine. (Luckily for our tastebuds but unfortunately for at least my waistline, we continued this food trend throughout her stay.) We started off her visit by hanging out in the kitchen with my flatmates Freddie, Hannah and Daniel, as well as a couple of their friends. (We played ‘fuzzy duck’, a drinking game where the participants go round in a circle and, depending on various factors, say either ‘fuzzy duck’ or ‘ducky fuzz’, but never ‘fucky duzz’. I was not particularly good at this game.) Over the course of the week, we completed (another) scavenger hunt (this time for my other orientation) and met Hanneke (a Dutch girl whose hometown is Groningen, the city in which Sas and Ing go to university) and Marielene, who is German. We went to a pub after the scavenger hunt for drinks; I’m loving more and more how it’s acceptable to begin drinking at any time of day.

University of Westminster threw a party for study abroad students on the Dutch Master, a boat that sailed up and down the Thames. One of the girls on my scavenger hunt wasn’t planning on going to the party, so she gave Christina her ticket. Drinks were exorbitantly priced on the boat, and the weather was rainy, but dancing, meeting new people, and making fun of the 60-something on-boat DJ made the three hour party entertaining. Once we docked, a few of us grabbed the Tube to the New Globe (a bar near the Queen Mary campus where some of my Arcadia friends go) and…well, Christina tried to dance on one of the tables, so that tells you what kind of night it was. We chatted up Brits (one of whom looked like a lumberjack; I asked if he would make me pancakes.) Despite a few frantic moments where I thought we’d lost Christina, it was a successful evening.

The next day, we dragged ourselves to Portobello Road Market (in the Notting Hill area) to meet Marielene and Hanneke’s friend Frenci. (Hanneke was planning to come too, but was unfortunately sick.) Although Saturday is the market’s biggest day, there were still stalls upon stalls of vintage clothes, jewelry, food, shoes, fabric, books and more. We bought only food (as usual) and checked out blocks-worth of goods.

The rest of that weekend, we visited more landmarks, took a highly discussed series of O-H-I-O pictures, went out with my flatmates, and, on Christina’s last day, finally had fish and chips. (We got them near Covent Garden at a place called Rock and Sole , which sells the traditional greasy fish and chips and mushy peas…seriously, what is not to love about that menu?)

On Tuesday afternoon, Christina and her massive backpack left for Spain, where she’s spending time with her uncle before her study begins. (It’s crazy to think that her program hasn’t even started, while I feel like I’ve been here ages—in a really good way.)

I’ve got to run to meet people for the Circle Line Pub Crawl (27 subway stops, 27 pubs; but don't worry, Mom, I'm sharing a half pint at each stop.) I’ll report on how that goes once I’ve recovered. Until then, cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment